Sri Lanka defeated Ireland by 133 runs in the ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2023 on June 25, 2023, at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat first. They posted a challenging total of 276-8 in their 50 overs, thanks to a half-century from Pathum Nissanka (56) and a late cameo from Dushmantha Chameera (43* off 21 balls).
Ireland’s reply got off to a poor start, as they lost wickets at regular intervals. They were eventually bowled out for 143 in 37.2 overs.
The win for Sri Lanka was their third in the tournament, and it keeps them in contention for a place in the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup.
Here are some of the key highlights of the match:
- Pathum Nissanka’s half-century was the cornerstone of Sri Lanka’s innings. He scored 56 off 72 balls, including six fours and a six.
- Dushmantha Chameera’s late cameo helped Sri Lanka post a challenging total. He scored 43* off 21 balls, including three fours and two sixes.
- Ireland’s reply got off to a poor start, as they lost wickets at regular intervals. They were eventually bowled out for 143 in 37.2 overs.
- Maheesh Theekshana was the pick of the bowlers for Sri Lanka. He took 3-27 in his 10 overs.
- Craig Young was the best bowler for Ireland. He took 3-37 in his 10 overs.
This win was a significant one for Sri Lanka, as it keeps them in contention for a place in the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup. They will need to win their remaining matches in the tournament to secure their place, but they are certainly in a good position at the moment.
Here are some of the key takeaways from the match:
- Sri Lanka’s batting looks in good shape. They have a number of batsmen who can score runs, and they showed that they can post a challenging total on a good batting wicket.
- Ireland’s bowling needs to improve. They were unable to contain Sri Lanka’s batsmen, and they will need to find a way to take more wickets if they want to win matches in the tournament.
- Maheesh Theekshana is a key player for Sri Lanka. He is a very talented bowler, and he can be a handful for any batting lineup.
- Craig Young is a promising young bowler for Ireland. He showed his ability to take wickets in this match, and he will be a key player for Ireland in the future.
Overall, this was a good win for Sri Lanka. They showed that they are a team to be reckoned with, and they will be hoping to continue their good form in the remaining matches in the tournament.